The requirements phase began with a review of the material provided by Dr. Hirumi. The materials included a content analysis document of other special interest groups, produced by Dr. de la Mora Velasco. Furthermore, a social media plan, mission/vision statement, and instructions to join the EDHP-SIG Listserv mailing list were provided.
The first step was to look at the project requirements and propose a platform & solution to use for the project. Using the content analysis document, I reviewed the websites looking for commonalities and directions to use for our project. It was already established the team preferred WordPress, so I recommended three different themes that could be utilized and provided an estimate of the costs associated with the project.
The next step was to conduct an analysis of the project and determine the proper direction for the design direction. The analysis document clearly defined the purpose of the project, the target audience, and the goals of the project. The analysis document also reviewed the social media plan and provided an in-depth look at the planned implementation of the resource wall. Finally, two similar websites were identified, and a quick analysis of positive aspects was provided, along with developer recommendations for how to proceed with the project.
I found it helpful to spend time at the front of the project, defining the goals for the project before the design begins. In previous contracting projects I’ve participated in, I have not given the requirements phase as much attention to the detriment of the process. I found the iterative process with Dr. Hirumi instrumental in building my overall understanding of the project goals.